Information about this Sunday’s worship gathering (May 19), to help you and your family prepare for worship.
Order of Worship
- Call to Worship: Saved My Soul
- We Sing Praise: Oh, For a Thousand Tongues
- We Sing Praise: Great Are You Lord
- Prayer – Scripture Reading – the Collection
- Our Children Singing: How Can I Keep From Singing
- We Worship in Song: Christ the Sure and Steady Anchor
- Testimonies & Corporate Prayer
- We Hear God’s Word Proclaimed – “Heirs of God” (Rom 8:12-17)
- The Lord’s Supper
Sermon Text: Read Romans 8:12-17.
We are back in our Romans study this week, finishing the section in chapter 8 about being made children of God!
Questions and Ideas to consider:
- How does God continue to work in our lives after we become believers? What is the Holy Spirit’s activity (Rom 8:5, 13-14) and what is his goal (Rom 8:29)?
- Based on the teaching of Romans 8, does God “save us” and then leave us to live in sin? Is it possible to say you are “justified” with no evidence of being “sanctified”?
- Consider/discuss the work of the Holy Spirit in this transformation process, and our part in cooperating (v13-14). What does this look like?
- What is an heir? Is it a big deal for v17 to declare that believers are “heirs of God”?
- Why does Paul immediately add that we are “fellow heirs with Christ”? What is the significance of that phrase? Will anyone receive the inheritance apart from Christ?
- What is the relationship of suffering and glory (v17)? What can a believer expect in this life? In the future? How does knowing this help, encourage, and sustain a believer through life?
Ask the Lord to open our hearts and minds to his word in the gathering this week. May his love for his sons and daughters in Christ be known, received, experienced through faith, and enjoyed! May unbelievers be transformed by the Spirit through the living word of God!
How can you help point church members to Christ and the gospel this week? Is there anyone drifting that you could reach out to in love?