Information about this Sunday’s worship gathering (February 16), to help you and your family prepare for worship.
Order of Worship
- Call to Worship: At Calvary
- We Sing Praise: The Lord is My Salvation
- We Sing Praise: His Mercy is More
- Pastoral Prayer – Scripture Reading – the Collection
- We Worship in Song: Jerusalem
- Testimonies & Corporate Prayer
- We Hear God’s Word Proclaimed – “How Christians Treat People, Part 1” (Romans 12:14-20).
- We Sing in Response: All I Have is Christ
- The Lord’s Supper
Sermon Text: Read Romans 12:14-20.
Paul is teaching us how Christians live in light of the gospel. This week and next, we will see How Christians Treat People, beginning with this Sunday’s focus: How Christians Treat Our Enemies.
Questions and Ideas to consider:
- Should Christians expect to have enemies and to be persecuted? Why?
- How did Jesus teach his followers to treat their enemies? (see Luke 6:27ff; Mat 5:39, 44).
- How did/does God treat his enemies (Lk 6:35)? How did/does Jesus treat his enemies (Rom 5:8)?
- What does Paul forbid Christians to do in verse 14b? In verse 17a?
- What does Paul command Christians to do in verse 14a? In verse 17b? In verse 20?
- If Christians, as individuals, do not get payback, does this mean that those who wrong us “get away” with it? How will justice get served if we do not serve it? See verse 19
- Are you currently practicing these instructions, or are you currently in sinful violation of them? Are you harboring bitterness, unforgiveness, or hatred in your heart towards others, especially those who have hurt you? How do you think God wants you to respond to his word on this subject?
- Is it ok for us to receive forgiveness from God and not forgive others? Is it ok for us to receive blessings from the Lord, even though we were his enemies, and refuse to bless our enemies? Is it ok for us to receive mercy for ourselves, but want only justice for others? See Ephesians 4:32
Please join us in praying for God to show up in a powerful way as we gather in the name of Jesus this Sunday. Pray for the Holy Spirit to meet with us and to work in our hearts through the word of God. Pray for God to open eyes, ears, and hearts to him, and to bring healing and grace and salvation. Ask the Lord to build his church, to mature his saints, to bring us under the Lordship of Jesus.
How can you serve Christ’s body this week in the gathering? How can you help believers grow in maturity and live out of the gospel promises, beyond the gathering of the church?